2026 Honda Accord Touring Hybrid

Started by Blueprint, Aug 26, 2026, 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRocket

The last nice looking affordable wagon (IMO) was the Buick Regal Tour X. Early 2020s??

Blizzard

For a short work trip in late September, I have a midsize sedan hybrid booked... "Honda Accord Hybrid or similar". Are Honda Accords ever in rental fleets? I don't recall ever seeing any. I'm 99.9% sure that I'll end up with a Camry Hybrid.
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier, 2024 Toyota bZ4X XLE Tech

Blueprint

Quote from: Blizzard on Sep 02, 2026, 12:47 PMFor a short work trip in late September, I have a midsize sedan hybrid booked... "Honda Accord Hybrid or similar". Are Honda Accords ever in rental fleets? I don't recall ever seeing any. I'm 99.9% sure that I'll end up with a Camry Hybrid.

Either that, or a Sonata. But 99% chance of Camry as 1) cheaper base trim and 2) all of 'em are hybrids now. Never seen a Honda in a rental fleet either.

Gas for the week: 12.8 litres  :)

Current rides: 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV GS-L, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6 Teabagger Express

Blizzard

#18
Quote from: Blueprint on Sep 02, 2026, 12:57 PM
Quote from: Blizzard on Sep 02, 2026, 12:47 PMFor a short work trip in late September, I have a midsize sedan hybrid booked... "Honda Accord Hybrid or similar". Are Honda Accords ever in rental fleets? I don't recall ever seeing any. I'm 99.9% sure that I'll end up with a Camry Hybrid.

Either that, or a Sonata. But 99% chance of Camry as 1) cheaper base trim and 2) all of 'em are hybrids now. Never seen a Honda in a rental fleet either.

Gas for the week: 12.8 litres  :)

The midsize sedan hybrid ended up being a Volkswagen Jetta  ???

They claimed not to have any hybrids at all left, and since this was a work trip and I had to be somewhere, I decided not to make a fuss or wait for a hybrid to arrive, and took what was available.

Turns out I wasn't missing much by not having a hybrid, because over 350 km of 90% highway driving I ended up at 4.8 l/100 km. WTF! I wish I knew how to upload a picture here as proof that this is real. Kind of insane fuel economy for a non-hybrid car, I only had to put in 17 litres at the end. I'm not sure a Camry Hybrid would have done any better?

Aside from the amazing fuel economy, the Jetta was competent. The engine and transmission was responsive enough and very smooth, handling was good, and it felt pretty solid on the road and well-built for a compact car. I had the Comfortline trim which at around $32K after PDI seems like a fair deal. It's SUCH a boring car though. It'll probably still look good in 10 years, but to me it's the automotive equivalent of white bread. Part of me sees how this car is a great option and I'd buy it, and the other part of me couldn't bear to drive something so boring for years. Although honestly, I'd have a hard time buying a gas car in this class as my daily driver when a new Bolt or similar starts around the same price. Assuming someone has a place to charge and doesn't do too many road trips, I feel like something electric is far superior in terms of comfort, refinement and driveability than a gas car in the $30K range.
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier, 2024 Toyota bZ4X XLE Tech

Tortoise

How fast were you driving? I had a Jetta rental last year and it averaged an indicated 5.7 L/100km. I was impressed with that since it's not far off what the TDI Golf would have done (granted a sedan is generally more efficient than a wagon)

Blueprint

Indeed, the Jetta with the automatic is stupid-good on gas. In 2022 I got 7.1 over a week of urban driving, with tons of stop and go. First two days with more urban highways in the mix was 6.2. The Sentra and Corolla are also able to pull similar numbers.
Current rides: 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV GS-L, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6 Teabagger Express

Blizzard

Quote from: Tortoise on Sep 22, 2026, 01:29 PMHow fast were you driving? I had a Jetta rental last year and it averaged an indicated 5.7 L/100km. I was impressed with that since it's not far off what the TDI Golf would have done (granted a sedan is generally more efficient than a wagon)

105-110 mostly, on flat roads.
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier, 2024 Toyota bZ4X XLE Tech

Blueprint

Quote from: Blizzard on Sep 23, 2026, 10:55 AM
Quote from: Tortoise on Sep 22, 2026, 01:29 PMHow fast were you driving? I had a Jetta rental last year and it averaged an indicated 5.7 L/100km. I was impressed with that since it's not far off what the TDI Golf would have done (granted a sedan is generally more efficient than a wagon)

105-110 mostly, on flat roads.

At those speeds on the highway I pulled a 3.1 return avg with my Golf TDI/DSG. No typo.
Current rides: 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV GS-L, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6 Teabagger Express

Bubba

Quote from: Johnnymac on Aug 31, 2026, 01:45 PMWill we ever see an affordable wagon return to North America? 

I wonder if Toyota has considered bring the Corolla Touring to North America?  I like the looks of it.  Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't sell.


Tortoise

Wouldn't sell in the US. I think the smaller wagons would do well in Canada. The Golf wagon was really popular in Ottawa.

Johnnymac

You would think there is still a market big enough to support a smaller wagon like that in North America.  Certainly wouldn't sell as well as the sedan or hatchback version of it but I do think there are still people who would choose a wagon over those versions.  I sort of think that the Subaru Impreza wagon with AWD would be the best application just due to the maker having a history of it, offering AWD, has great interior space, and is still seen as a quirky brand that buyers could get behind a product like this.  VW would be another but I just think it would be less successful.
Past vehicles, 2016 VW Golf R, 2020 VW GLI, 2022 Honda Civic Si

Current vehicle, 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT (manual)