News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Johnny's First RWD Sports car and Used car

Started by Johnnymac, May 11, 2026, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnymac

Quote from: Firm on Jun 08, 2026, 10:55 AMOn cooler days I often like to drive with the driver's window open an inch or two, especially if I am just on local (slower) roads. Some cars are great for that, nice air flow and limited noise, others are terrible...lots of noise, too much air. Curious if that deflector made a difference.
I will have to try that out to see if it's okay in that setting or not.
Past vehicles, 2016 VW Golf R, 2020 VW GLI, 2022 Honda Civic Si

Current vehicle, 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT (manual)

Blueprint

When I had the press car twin to your car, I made an unexpected purchase of a potted palm tree (on sale), and from passenger footwell to hardtop, it just fit standing up!
Current rides: 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV GS-L, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6 Teabagger Express

Johnnymac

Got my two beauties exteriors fully detailed, waxed, and ready for the winter season.  The red on the Miata is truly subtlety excellent, it's vibrant and classy and looks good even when dirty (which is often with the amount of construction happening around the house).

The paint is certainly much higher quality on the Acura, but you'd expect that. 

Made appointments for both vehicles this month.  On the 22nd the Miata will get undercoated and have her winter tires put on.  On the 29th the Acura will get an inspection (two years here in NB) and winter tires installed.  I ordered some Tuxmats for the Miata.

Next weekend I'll do the interiors of all 3 vehicles so then I'm all set for the winter months.

I've been resisting talking about the Miata this summer.  I really didn't want to be one of those annoying Miata owners that talk about their car endlessly. 

As you guys might remember this is my first RWD vehicle and also my first "convertible".  After a full season of enjoying her I can firmly say I should have done this like 20 years earlier.  It's like I was a novice car enthusiasts prior to this.  It's been a revolution to me and it's the best kind of mood enhancer.

If I had to go down to one vehicle it would have to be Miata.  I just can't imagine not having this type of vehicle in my driveway going forward.

If I had my time back, I probably would have kept the Civic Si and bought a new Miata RF.  I'd be 95% + as happy with my cars but have upwards of $25K extra in savings.  That's not to say I don't love my Integra Type S, it is excellent as well, but I do find that I reach for the Miata keys almost always first.
Past vehicles, 2016 VW Golf R, 2020 VW GLI, 2022 Honda Civic Si

Current vehicle, 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT (manual)

Firm

Nice update, I am not surprised that you feel that way. Small roadsters, IMO, are the most fun you're going to have on 4-wheels and public streets.
Current Fleet: 78 MGB, 81 380SL, 84 Camaro, 85 Trans Am, 96 Firebird, 96 Firebird Formula, 00 GMC Sonoma, 03 SLK320, 04 Maserati Spyder, 06 Escalade, 07 DTS, 10 XKR

Johnnymac

Quote from: Firm on Today at 11:35 AMNice update, I am not surprised that you feel that way. Small roadsters, IMO, are the most fun you're going to have on 4-wheels and public streets.
You aren't wrong and I have to say that I'm not even feeling like I need more power.  Seems like the perfect amount.  Maybe once I upgrade the suspension and brakes i might feel differently, but that won't be until next year at the earliest.
Past vehicles, 2016 VW Golf R, 2020 VW GLI, 2022 Honda Civic Si

Current vehicle, 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT (manual)

RRocket

Quote from: Johnnymac on Today at 11:49 AM
Quote from: Firm on Today at 11:35 AMNice update, I am not surprised that you feel that way. Small roadsters, IMO, are the most fun you're going to have on 4-wheels and public streets.
You aren't wrong and I have to say that I'm not even feeling like I need more power.  Seems like the perfect amount.  Maybe once I upgrade the suspension and brakes i might feel differently, but that won't be until next year at the earliest.

You need to try a Boxster/Cayman 981 if you like the Miata.

Johnnymac

Quote from: RRocket on Today at 05:50 PM
Quote from: Johnnymac on Today at 11:49 AM
Quote from: Firm on Today at 11:35 AMNice update, I am not surprised that you feel that way. Small roadsters, IMO, are the most fun you're going to have on 4-wheels and public streets.
You aren't wrong and I have to say that I'm not even feeling like I need more power.  Seems like the perfect amount.  Maybe once I upgrade the suspension and brakes i might feel differently, but that won't be until next year at the earliest.

You need to try a Boxster/Cayman 981 if you like the Miata.
I'm sure they are excellent as well.  Maybe the next one.
Past vehicles, 2016 VW Golf R, 2020 VW GLI, 2022 Honda Civic Si

Current vehicle, 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Mazda MX-5 RF GT (manual)