News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What's good economy for an EV?

Started by RRocket, Feb 19, 2026, 10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkazzed

That's handy! I wish my Hyundai kept track of that.

Blizzard

Over the 2 years and 18,000 km I've had my Bolt, I've averaged 15.2 kWh/100 km according to the car. That's consistently translated into anywhere from 12.5-14 in the summer to 18-22 in winter. I drive more in the warm months than in the dead of winter which is why I skew lower, and I'm lucky enough to park in a heated garage overnight which helps for sure. Often on winter mornings I'm comfortable with just the heated seat and no HVAC.
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier, 2024 Toyota bZ4X XLE Tech

dkazzed

The joys of driving smaller EVs. I might get down to 15-16 with no HVAC load just driving to a nearby grocery store, but honestly my IONIQ 9 still costs half as much to "fuel" as my 300cc motorcycle.

Quote from: Blizzard on Oct 06, 2026, 06:55 PMOften on winter mornings I'm comfortable with just the heated seat and no HVAC.

I can too, but honestly I tell my partner to use it how she pleases. I was vehmenetly against remote start with gas vehicles but I tell her to remote warm the EV to her heart's desire. In the winter. It's scheduled to warm to 20C by 7:45am every weekday morning, then she just uses the app whenever she's able to leave work. That's why our plug usage is as high as 55 kWh/100km.

Blizzard

Quote from: dkazzed on Oct 07, 2026, 11:48 AMThe joys of driving smaller EVs. I might get down to 15-16 with no HVAC load just driving to a nearby grocery store, but honestly my IONIQ 9 still costs half as much to "fuel" as my 300cc motorcycle.

Quote from: Blizzard on Oct 06, 2026, 06:55 PMOften on winter mornings I'm comfortable with just the heated seat and no HVAC.

I can too, but honestly I tell my partner to use it how she pleases. I was vehmenetly against remote start with gas vehicles but I tell her to remote warm the EV to her heart's desire. In the winter. It's scheduled to warm to 20C by 7:45am every weekday morning, then she just uses the app whenever she's able to leave work. That's why our plug usage is as high as 55 kWh/100km.

I have no information about my plug/charger usage, since there's no wifi in my condo garage, which effectively turns my smart charger into a "dumb" charger. When I'm in the garage I see a few wifi networks that I assume belong to people on the ground floor, but since I'm on the 2nd, no chance my signal is reliably travelling that far. I can't imagine my charger consumption is that much higher, since I don't idle much and also never pre-heat or pre-cool the car.
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV Premier, 2024 Toyota bZ4X XLE Tech

RRocket


dkazzed

Quote from: Blizzard on Oct 07, 2026, 01:00 PMI have no information about my plug/charger usage, since there's no wifi in my condo garage, which effectively turns my smart charger into a "dumb" charger. When I'm in the garage I see a few wifi networks that I assume belong to people on the ground floor, but since I'm on the 2nd, no chance my signal is reliably travelling that far. I can't imagine my charger consumption is that much higher, since I don't idle much and also never pre-heat or pre-cool the car.

I find that at minimum when there are no battery heating or cooling requirements, the onboard computer is still using about 300-400W whenever the vehicle is charging, and then inefficiencies with the charge itself and there's on average 15% of efficiency losses level 2 charging, and 25% level 1 charging. In extreme cold, it spends a little bit of time warming the battery before actually charging, but usually the heat generated while charging will keep the battery warm, even when it's -32 out which was oddly the coldest Edmonton got last winter.

How I justified preheating was 55 kWh is $7.81, even with 103.9 gas last winter, that's like 7.5 Le/100km. A V6 SUV/minivan uses a lot more than that in the same conditions. I imagine your condo parking doesn't ever get really cold? Even with unheated parkades, we at least design it to keep it above freezing to avoid bursting sprinkler pipes.

Blueprint

My latest EV was the Trailseeker, impressed by the observed 16.1 kWh/100 km for the week, handily beating the NRCan numbers. Impressive for a jacked-up off-roady long roof that does 0-60 in 3.9s.

New Bolt in a few weeks.
Current rides: 2024 Mazda CX-90 PHEV GS-L, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6 Teabagger Express

dkazzed

They should've switched the Trailseeker and Outback names, there's nothing Outback about the new Outback.